Rafting Permits Available
Be Safe and Enjoy!
- A Daily Rafting Permit and a signed waiver is required for each person for each day they are rafting or floating (using rafts, kayaks, or boats) either entering or exiting the Fort Apache Indian Reservation. All rafting trips going beyond the “Hoodoo” camp area are required to purchase a 2-day permit for each individual rafters. Rafters starting their trip from Gleason Flat need to have a Daily Rafting Permit covering them for the entire time (days) they will be on the Reservation. Important reminder, all individuals holding a valid Daily Rafting Permit are allowed one night of camping.
- River Rafting:Daily $25.00
Rafting Open and Close Areas
- The Salt River is open year round to river rafting. Water flows are best during the peak spring runoff period (typically March through May), although optimum rafting conditions will vary from year to year
- River rafting is restricted to the Salt River, downstream from the Salt River Canyon Bridge (Hwy 60) to the west boundary of the Reservation only. All other Reservation waters are closed to rafting.
- SALT BANKS. The area between Salt River Draw and one mile downstream of Rock Canyon and between the Salt River and north to the rim of the Salt River Canyon is CLOSED to all non-tribal members. Non-members can only use Route G1 as an access road through the area.
Mandatory Rafting Equipment
- Each person purchasing a rafting permit must sign a wavier (mandatory) prior to putting into the river.
- NO Exception, everyone holding a 2-days or more River Rafting Permit is required to take the following equipment: fire-pans, trash containers/bags, and human waste disposal containers. All rafters must pack out trash, ashes and human waster. It is illegal to burn or bury any trash..
Commercial River Rafting
- The following equipment is required for all rafts/boats as a condition to entering the Salt River for rafting.
- Must have a professional whitewater quality boats (no rubber duckies, open canoes, etc.).
- Each rafter must possess a personal flotation device, along with (1) spare paddle and (1) throw rope.
- Please see our commercial rafting page for a listing of all professional licensed/authorized outfitters and guides for the White Mountain Apache Tribe.
BUY A PERMIT
Buy fishing or camping permits online for yourself or a group.
White Mountain Apache Tribe
Game & Fish Department
P.O. Box 220
Whiteriver, AZ 85941